July 12, 2011

Working on the set of Guerilla Boy: Alice's, Wicky's and Vinny's experiences.



VINCENT ODUOR: "I worked as the set runner and third assistant director. I called the shots, arranged for the scenes and supervised other departments.
I learnt to distinguish between various assistant directors. For example, the second assistant director ensures that the cast gets on set in time. This director does the paper work and handles the crew’s schedule.
On the other hand, the third assistant director not only controls the background movement of a scene but also keeps the pace of the shooting time. In addition to this, the third assistant director directs the extras in a scene. As the right hand person of the first assistant director, he ensures that the cast is around for the next scene.
Working on the set of Guerrilla Boy taught me to relate the theories of filmmaking to the practical realities of the field. Due to the constructive criticism offered by the people I worked with, I strengthened my resolve to become a filmmaker."


ALICE MOTIERI: "I worked on stills and downloaded, copied and digitalized videos from the Red One hard drive.
Working on the set of Guerrilla Boy taught me valuable lessons on sound recording and working with the mixer. I also learnt how to write continuity notes as well as how to relate with other members of cast and crew.
I got the chance to integrate film theories into a real film set, and realized that in filmmaking, passion and risk-taking are crucial.
Filmmaking is not all glamour, though. Working in Nderi came with its own set of peculiar challenges, the first of which was cold biting weather. Also, we had a few hiccups with the transportation from Nairobi to Nderi. Other problems arose in the form of misunderstandings with other crew as to job description and duties, as well as in the form of missing or misplaced equipment.
However, I made valuable networks during the twenty one days spent at the set and realized that, without a doubt, film is the career for me.”
WYCLIFF MBOYA:

 “On the set of Guerrilla Boy, I worked with different types of lights and dealt with the setting and the pushing of the dolly. I got the chance to hobnob with some of the who’s who of the film industry. I came to realize that there are lots of people involved in the making of a successful film. The director cannot do without the grips people. The actors and actresses cannot do without the film crew. Everyone is interdependent.
From working on the set of this film, I sobered up from my romanticized ideals of the film industry. I woke up to the realization that film is not just what they show you on television; lots of sweat, tears and blood go into each successful production.”

To support the great youth of the Kibera Film School, please visit our Global Giving Page

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's not just a name welcome and learn the art of filmmaking. Our training is hands-on.