May 9, 2012

MY FIRST SHOOTING EXPERIENCE.





Rebecca Musanga reading her script before the shoot









It was on 26th Thursday when the shooting timetable was scheduled and I was notified to be the first to start. I had mixed feelings because I was exited at the same time afraid, what if I made a mistake? Nevertheless, I accepted since everything about me was set to go. I borrowed two flip cameras and a flip charger that evening to ensure all things were set and could not wait for Friday.

Early the next morning I woke up to start preparing the location where most of the actions would take place as I arranged the required props. At around seven in the morning, I was set to pick my cast and crew who were to gather at Hot Sun Foundation premises little did I know that only a quarter of them had arrived.




Rebecca and her colleagues on set 







My first frustration began when I started looking for the rest as I spent my credit calling them. On that same day, one of my cast who was to act as a mother just informed me that she won’t make it so I had to look for another actor immediately. Damn it was very stressive but thanks to my cameraman, Erasto Walter who helped me to get a replacement.

The second frustration began when we were late on set, so we had to shoot all the scenes in a hurry because the cast involved wanted to go back to their normal business.

My third frustration was when the flip cameras just decided to misbehave and went on and off in the middle of the shoot and when we tried capturing a nice shot, an aeroplane kept on disturbing, hence we were forced to cut and repeat as many takes as the aeroplane would allow. Before we finished shooting, it started raining heavily so we had to end the shoot leaving out some of the scenes.

Considering the fact that it was a zero budget film, I was very frustrated but I had to accept that sometimes shit happens. I have learnt a lot of things from my first shoot and in my next project I will always have a plan B just in case a mess is likely to crop up. People always say that experience is the best teacher but I must admit that experience does not guarantee efficiency. 


To support the great youth of the Kibera Film School, please visit our Global Giving Page

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's not just a name welcome and learn the art of filmmaking. Our training is hands-on.